We now live in a world that is wired, and OBID understands that innovation is key to the success and future of our business district.
Home to some of the world’s top research, educational, medical and cultural institutions, Oakland is determined to be America’s first innovation community. Working with several local and regional partners, the OBID has planned Pittsburgh’s first digital Infrastructure project called Innovation Oakland. Imagine a district where customers could instantly retrieve information about daily lunch and sale specials, where our sidewalks and public spaces are enlivened by interactive art projects, and where businesses can be promoted in the lobbies of our hospitals and universities. Innovation Oakland seeks to build this and more. IO will combine information, art, place-making and way-finding solutions to create smart infrastructures solutions that will attract new users into our business district and that will:
- Foster a regional brand celebrating innovation,
- Create exciting and vibrant destination spaces that reflect the 21st century
- Provide a pedestrian-focused signage and navigation system
- Promote the Oakland community
- Showcase Oakland’s assets
To find out more about the Innovation Oakland Smart Streets Plan guiding this community vision, click here to view the Executive Summary.
To date, with more than $1 million dollars raised by the various Oakland partners and local foundations and corporations, the OBID has made tremendous progress on projects including:
- The construction of the Forbes Digital Plaza
- The development of a pedestrian wayfinding signage project
- The installation of TransitScreens – real-time digital multimodal transportation displays – in Central Oakland’s storefronts and lobbies
- The creation of an Innovation Oakland Master Plan presenting innovative solutions combining information, art, placemaking and wayfinding for new-age infrastructure in Central Oakland’s commercial district