A Starting Point for Start-Ups
Fueled by the growth of Oakland’s education and medical sectors, the City of Pittsburgh is seeding an innovation economy that rivals many global cities competing in the digital age such as New York, London and Seoul. Technology and emerging technology companies spun out of our Oakland universities have helped to create a new economy for Pittsburgh and to stimulate economic development throughout our region.
Location, location, location! Oakland is one of Pittsburgh’s cultural and commercial hubs, and ranks 3rd in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in terms of economic and social activity. As home to Carnegie Mellon University, the University of Pittsburgh and it’s UPMC medical center, the Carnegie Musuem cultural complex, hundreds of retail businesses and over 20,000 residents, Oakland is a thriving neighborhood and a driving force behind the steel city’s “Eds & Meds” resurgence. Check out some of the perks below to see why Oakland is a great place to locate your startup!
- Centrally Located – Geographically centered within Pittsburgh, and a 20 min drive from anywhere in the city.
- Easily Accessible – Serviced by over 20 bus routes, and easily reached from Forbes Ave, Fifth Ave, and Interstate 376.
- A Destination – With over 4 million annual tourist visits and a daily weekday population of 100,000, it’s the place to be for both work and play.
- Access to Talent – Home to 40,000 students — a great source ofinterns and employees for any startup!
- Economic Incentives – Located in the Greater Oakland Keystone Innovation Zone (KIZ), qualify for tax credits and grant programs.
- Support Services – Ample food, coffee, convenience stores, and even a Zipcar stop.
Revv Oakland is located at 3710 Forbes Ave., and with more than 15 small technology companies, Revv’s current space is already filled to capacity and has began the expansion of new companies into more spaces in our business district. Revv’s long-term goal is to expand to more than 100 companies, filling the upper floors of our retail district and bringing new customers into our restaurants and shops! For more information about Revv, visit revvoakland.com.
Current Revv Members:
Alumni Revv Members:
Startup Oakland is a unique partnership effort that captures the benefits of locating startup technology businesses in the Oakland innovation economy. Formed by a strategic alliance between OBID, Revv Oakland and Oakland Real Estate, Startup Oakland promotes central Oakland’s business district as an ideal community for startup companies to grow and thrive in the technology hub of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania. The Startup Oakland campaign was initially funded by Neighborhood Allies.