Oakland Business Improvement District
Check out the OBID 2015 Annual Report
The Oakland Business Improvement District is an economic development agency representing local businesses, commercial property owners, universities, hospitals, non-profit and government organizations working to make Oakland Pittsburgh’s most vibrant business district community. The organization also takes the lead on Innovation Oakland, a project with the goal of making Oakland’s largest business district the hub of technology and innovation, and Startup Oakland, a campaign helping to grow Oakland’s start-up community.
The OBID is a dynamic organization with two full-time staff members, an engaged Board of Directors of over two-dozen Oakland Business District Stakeholders and our dedicated third-party cleaning crew. They work to keep Oakland the gem that it is; vibrant, youthful, clean and safe are top priorities of OBID.
OBID Member Benefits
As a commercial property owner or business within the Oakland Business District, you are automatically receiving these benefits:
- Street cleaning and sweeping services
- Access to promotional campaigns
- Participation in OBID special events
- Promotion to more than 1,500 Oakland stakeholders through OBID’s Noteworthy News weekly email
- Promotion to a network of more than 2,000 people through OBID’s social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Flickr
- Ongoing access to resources and technical assistance – just a phone call or email away
- Connections to Oakland’s big players: UPMC, University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University and Carlow University.
- Networking events connecting you to your fellow business owners in the Oakland BID
OBID is governed by stakeholders with a vested interest in Oakland’s success
- Is chartered by the City and State to provide economic development services shaped by a charitable mission
- Fosters critical alliances between diverse stakeholders (from the small entrepreneur and property owner to the large institutions, all voices collaborate to accomplish change
- Generates revenue to provide necessary services to the district
- Implements strategic revitalization strategies to keep Oakland competitive
- Gives voice to the entrepreneurial community
- Provides on-site professional and experienced staff keeping abreast of local and national trends and strategies in the field of economic development